Thursday, October 13, 2011

Be Sweet!



"I smell cookies! SWEET! What an awesome surprise, Mom!" my youngest daughter, Sofie, yelled excitedly as she plowed through the door on a typical Thursday afternoon. "They smell SO good, Mama!" Her words brought a smile to my heart. Later, as I ate a few of the delicious double chocolate chip delicacies, made with a whole lot of love and even more butter, I thought about my daughter's declaration and how it applied to many facets of life.

As Christians, the world should be sweeter in our presence. In fact, we are told to "walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God". (Ephesians 5:2 NIV)

So, what smells sweet to God, you ask?

First, we are to walk in love. As the feet of Jesus, we are to bring God's love into the presence of all whom we meet. Not just on Sunday, but everyday. At the grocery store. At the PTA. At the soccer game. Wherever we go, God's children are to offer a fragrant love offering to the LORD.

Then, we must give ourselves up for Christ. This one is a bit tougher, isn't it? For it calls us to lay down our selfishness, turn away from pride, and submit ourselves to our King. Ouch!

I pray that God would make me as sweet smelling as those cookies I made for my kids. Still, I am reminded that many times, I stumble, and smell more like the garlic cloves hiding in my refrigerator. How grateful I am that my Heavenly Father made me a work in progress. His mercies are new each day and so are my opportunities to make my life a sweet aroma to God.

So, dear sister in Christ, consider your heart, confess your weaknesses, and step sweetly. For today is a great day for cookies! Be sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment