Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Boy Inside The Man-Child



Today, I saw the little boy hiding within my man child. This morning, Jack had his 13year well check up at the pediatrician's office. Yes, I am aware that he is closer to fourteen than thirteen. Yes, we got the certifiable look of disapproval from our doctor. In any case, today, before school, Jack and I headed off to his appointment.

Jack and I have been at this doctor's office many times over the years. Our pediatrician has been Jack's doctor since we moved to McKinney. Jack was just 2 years old the first time he visited this office. Through the years, our pediatrician has treated Jack for everything from ear infections to asthma flare ups. He has seen Jack through every cold and every well visit. This particular check up was not extraordinary in any way. In fact, in nearly every way, it was identical to countless other visits we have made to our doctor since Jack was a little boy. Still, somehow today seemed different.

Maybe it was because it was the first time we have walked down the halls of that office where my son was actually taller than me. Perhaps it is because, lately, it seems that my Jack is more "man" than "child". Most days, I am reminded by his deep voice and huge appetite that Jack is growing up. But today, I saw a glimpse of the boy hiding within my son. And it made my heart smile.

There, in the office, as Jack laid back on the examination table, Jack became ticklish and started to giggle. In that moment, I was transported back to another time, when we visited this office for the first time. Jack was just 2 years old and he was extremely ticklish. I smiled to myself as I recalled the faded memories of my blond curly haired boy who couldn't stop wiggling or giggling on that day so long ago. Quietly, I sat there, smiling to myself, remembering my little guy and missing him just a little.

There is no denying that my son is growing up. High school is closing in on us as he just had his "rising freshman" meeting at school. Lately, our discussions have been about his "four year plan", and his goals for the future. Gone are the days when he would build cities with Legos, save the day with his Rescue Hero action figures, or pretend to be his favorite super hero. These days, it's not often that I see my little boy. But, today, for a moment, he was in the pediatrician's office with me.

As I took in the familiar sound of Jack's laugh today, I was reminded, that "sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him." (Psalm 127:3) Certainly, Jack's growth curve has changed, but his giggle is the same now as it was when he was small. How I treasure every precious moment God has given me with my son. I am proud to be Jack's mom. I have loved him since before I laid eyes on him. Being his mom is one of the greatest joys of my life. I can't wait to see the plans God has for him as Jack steps into manhood.

In this new season of life, I pray God gives me wisdom to be the mother Jack needs. I pray that with each new challenge, God will equip me to prepare my son for the world that beckons. But, today, I offer thanks for the glimpse of the boy within my man-child.

No comments:

Post a Comment