Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Child Of God

It's that time of year again. The lazy days of summer are over and the business of "back to school" has begun. The first day of school is closing in fast and my "back to school" checklist will not conquor itself. While I would prefer to abstain from both the heat and the crowds, duty calls. So, on Tuesday, the kids and I loaded into the car and set off to check items off the list one by one.

First, we stopped at Academy. Then Target. And finally, Office Depot. We shopped efficiently and cheerfully as the radio cranked out some of our favorite tunes. As I triumphantly pulled into our driveway after a busy day of shopping, a smile filled my heart as I listened to my children as they sang..."I am a friend of God." Innocently, Sofie said, "Mommy, we are more than God's friends. We are his children."

It was one of those "outta the mouths of babes" moments. Touched by my daughter's sweet words, I reflected on her close relationship with her daddy. How grateful I am for my husband's relationship with his children. For all that they know of their Heavenly Father has been modeled lovingly by their earthly one.

My children are secure in their father's love because they have a dad who is affectionate and dependable. Truly, Marty enjoys the time he has been given with his children and knows each of them intimately. Naturally, my kids understand "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!" (1 John 3:1 NIV)

My children are not alone. For such is true for all of us who have embraced salvation in Christ.Whatever your circumstances. Know this. His love is patient and kind. It is not easily angered. Nor does it keep a record of our wrongs. (1 Corinthians 13:3-5 NIV) Unconditionally loved and grafted into God's family, "You are a child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment