Thursday, August 5, 2010

Less Is More

Earlier this week the temperature in McKinney was hovering somewhere near 105 degrees. And since I had to wait for my sleepy tweenage boy/babysitter, Jack, to emerge from his slumber, I didn't get to go for my run until late morning. Needless to say the sun was "showing off" by then.

In a moment of foolishness, I decided that I would walk for some of my run and just stay out longer to make up for it. Wrong answer! In exchange for the few extra calories I may have burned, I recieved a severe dehydration head-ache that left me sidelined for the remainder of the day. I should have stuck with my original plan and kept my run short. It turns out that sometimes less is more.

I have some friends and loved ones who are in the heat of battle in their personal lives right now. As I listen intently to the cries of their hearts, I am tempted to give lots of advice. But I do not have the words. Honestly, there is so much I don't understand on this side of Heaven. Therefore, I am wise to remember that sometimes the most loving thing to do is be silent and pray.

In Nehemiah, we are told that "from heaven you heard them, and in your great compassion you gave them deliverers, who rescued them from the hand of their enemies." (Nehemiah 9:27 NIV). While I long to encourage and seek to comfort, I humbly recognize that deliverance does not come from me. I don't have all the answers. Still, I know the ONE who does. And I give my petitions to Him.

For sometimes less is more.

No comments:

Post a Comment