Friday, February 25, 2011

Life Interrupted




Being a busy mother of three rambunctious gifts from Heaven, I know a little bit about interruptions. In fact, like many in this season of life, interruptions are more the norm than the exception. I have to rise pretty early in order to capture some quiet moments and protect them from interruptions. Some days, I feel like that old Army commercial..."Heather Arbuckle. She does more before 9 a.m. than most people do all day!"

This morning, as I started to rush through my list of errands, a catchy tune caught my ear. It's called "This Is The Stuff" by Francesca Battestelli. Long story short, the song paints a picture of those pesky annoyances that plague us in our frenzy. Lost keys. A forgotten lunch. A lost cell phone. As the lyrics to the song so eloquently state..."In the middle of my little mess, I forget how BIG I'm blessed."

As I listened closer and even started singing along, my heart began to feel lighter. Then, I remembered...this is my life, the only one I get, interruptions and all. And I decided, to adjust my attitude and lighten up. For in everything, God is working. Sometimes these interruptions are meant to teach me patience. Others mercy. Still others remind me to laugh at myself. So,today, I embrace life interrupted.

For most of us, life is full of interruptions. Not just the petty small moments of quiet time that get disturbed by sibling rivalry or soccer practice, but major detours that set our feet on a completely unexpected and uncharted path. To be honest, it is that type of interruption that most sets me into an anxiety ridden tailspin. The type A planner in me does not take kindly to a change in plans and I do not often embrace life's interruptions.

But God is in all things, both great and small. And I am called to trust Him. For He promises that "In all things He works for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28) Did you hear that? In ALL things...even the life interrrupted. So breath deep and sing along. For the Sovereign King sings over you.

No comments:

Post a Comment