Sunday, April 17, 2011

Pass It On




"I passed on to you what was most important and what had also been passed on to me. Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said. He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, just as the Scriptures said. He was seen by Peter and then by the Twelve. After that, he was seen by more than 500 of his followers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have died. Then he was seen by James and later by all the apostles. Last of all, as though I had been born at the wrong time, I also saw him. For I am the least of all the apostles."
-1 Corinthians 15:3-9 (NLT)



Last week, I stopped at Starbucks to buy a morning coffee for myself and a friend. I waited patiently in the drive-thru line, as I anticipated the rich chocolaty flavor of a cocoa cappuccino. When I got to the cashier, I was surprised to find that my coffee order had already been paid in full. In a random act of kindness, the customer ahead of me had purchased not only my coffee, but that of my friend. It was a delightful surprise that filled my heart with gratitude and joy.

"It's been happening all morning," the barista explained. "It started with one customer, and then it just continued. Car after car...they just keep passing it on." Of course, who was I to break the trend? "Well, then, I am buying the coffee for the car behind me," I said smiling. As I pulled out of the drive, my heart was reminded of the power of love when we pass it on.

Scripture reminds us that "God our Savior revealed his kindness and love, he saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit. He generously poured out the Spirit upon us through Jesus Christ our Savior.(Titus 3:4-6NLT)

As Easter approaches, this is the perfect time for Christians to "pass along" the Good News of Christ's redeeming love. We are told, that we are reconciled to God by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, His only Son. Unable to save ourselves from our sinful condition, Christ, alone, redeemed mankind from sin. Fully God and fully man, Jesus lived so that we might learn. He gave His life so that we might live. He rose again so that we might know Him as our Savior. And He is coming again, so that we might dwell with Him forever.

Understanding that we can never be good enough, God sent His Son to pay for our sins in full. As His adopted heirs in Christ, we have the great honor of sharing God's goodness with those whom we meet. Christ alone is the pathway to salvation. While some will choose not to receive this precious and priceless gift, others will receive it joyfully with gratitude.

We are told that we are not to worry about the results, we are only responsible to pass it on. To friends. To family. To all who are lost. Proclaim the truth about who Christ is, what He has done, and how we are changed because of His great love.

Now is the time...pass it on.

Heavenly Father,
How grateful I am for your love, for your sacrifice, for you Son. Help me to be a living example of your great love to all whom I meet. Let me never forget that my good deeds are not for me, nor are they payment for my salvation, but they are entirely for Your glory. Help me to pass along the priceless love of Christ, so that others might know Him, and receive his free gift of salvation.
-Amen


Reflection: How can you share the love of Christ this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment