Monday, May 24, 2010

His Story

God's word had illuminated my path since I was a little girl. A gift for my birthday, I got my first Bible when I was five years old. My favorite place to read it was while I rode in the car on my way to my grandparent's house. My heart swelled with love for my Heavenly Father,as I studied the pictures in the stories with wonder. Intrigued by the characters, I listened intently as my loved ones read the stories of Noah and Moses. Learning from their experiences, I admired these characters deeply, as their faith became woven into mine.

As I grew, I soon discovered a painful truth. The road of life is difficult. When I encountered a flood of tears, I failed to recall the obedience of Noah. In the fires of adolescence, I did not have the courage of Daniel. As I wandered through the desert of early adulthood, I did not possess the same trust as Moses. It soon became clear that it was time for me to leave the "stories" of childhood behind. It was time to "grow up" and become part of His story.

Rather than reading the Bible for entertainment, I resolved to study it passionately. Instead of casually passing through each story, I carefully meditated on the truths within the scriptures. In time, the men and women of the Bible became as familiar to me as old friends. For, they were ordinary people facing real challenges, just like me. Their lives had been recorded by God so that I might learn from their mistakes, grow through their adversity, and walk faithfully with God.

A love letter written from God's heart, the Bible is filled with unshakable truth. In its pages, we find tangible evidence of God's limitless compassion and faithfulness towards His people. As His children, we must never stop maturing in our faith. To the contrary, we must continue to study our Bible as we allow God to grow us in wisdom and truth. For we are told that "all Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.(2 Timothy 3:16 NIV)

Today, I have another Bible. With notes in the margins and scriptures marked for memory, it is a recording of all I have learned with God. When storms of adversity rage in my life, my Bible gives me the courage to be still and trust that God is in control. As the fires of persecution blaze around me, it is God's word that gives me the strength to stand firm. And when temptation is all around me, my Bible helps me choose obedience.

Life has come full circle. For, I have been blessed with three children, and it is my task to teach them the truth in God's word. Daniel. Esther. Adam and Eve. Each of my children relate to different characters they meet as we read together. While we discuss the stories together, we apply them in our everyday lives as well. And as we study His word, my children understand that this book is more than just a bunch of stories.

It is the Bible. The living word of God. A revelation of His unchanging character and record of His amazing, sacrificial love. It's truth marks a path of righteousness, for "every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him is His gift to His children." (Proverbs 30:5) God's gift to His children, the Bible points the way to eternal life with Him. For, we are part of His story.

No comments:

Post a Comment