Monday, May 17, 2010

Stay Hungry

Morning had faded into evening, and I was midway through my commitment to fast for a friend who was serving on a mission trip in Bolivia. With three hungry children, I dutifully prepared dinner. As the aroma of chicken nuggets and macaroni cheese filled the kitchen, I prayed for strength to remain hungry.

Hours later, the house was still and quiet, but my stomach was still growling. While chocolate pudding taunted me mercilessly from the fridge, I turned my thoughts towards God. Hungry and tired, my heart pondered my place in His kingdom.

In between hunger pangs, I considered the many changes my husband and I had embraced to allow me time to pursue my dream as a writer. Many sacrifices had been made so that I could serve the LORD with words. “What if I am wrong? What if this is all for nothing? Then what?" Hungry for spiritual fruit, I took my questions to God as He led me to seek nourishment from His word.

Scripture tells us “the laborer’s appetite works for him; his hunger drives him on.” (Proverbs 16:26 NIV). My hunger for His divine work in my life will not be satisfied immediately. In fact, it is God’s will that I remain hungry. For I must be willing to give up the comforts of today to see the glory of tomorrow.

With hearts bent towards instant gratification, we live in a society of abundance and self-satisfaction. In work. At play. Within every facet of our daily lives, we rarely deny ourselves even the simplest of pleasures. Consequently, many of us lack self-discipline and fall into gluttony. God wants more from His servants. He desires for us to be driven by His divine work in our lives.

I awoke the next morning and rushed to the kitchen. I waited with anticipation for my toast to spring out of the toaster. My fast was over. Still, I resolve to stay hungry, for “"blessed is the man who will eat at the feast in the kingdom of God." (Luke 14:15 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment