Tuesday, March 22, 2011

This Is The Day




"This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24


I am not a big fan of Daylight Savings Time. It's probably because I am not exactly what you would call "a morning person". Somehow, with the time change, morning seems earlier. Waking up to a dark house and stumbling over to the coffee pot makes me long for a bit more time underneath my covers. At least enough time for the sun to catch up with my day.

Finally, the coffee is done brewing and I sit down to take a few moments before my kids wake up to begin their morning rituals. The sky is still dark, but the birds are singing. The house is still. And it is like God is whispering, "These are the days. Rejoice. Don't miss it!"

So I think it over and I understand. These ARE the days...

When my daughters bring me "flowers" that resemble weeds, but are presented with great joy and love.

When my son is still shorter than me and will allow me to hug him in front of his friends.

When my husband kisses me on the cheek gently before he leaves for his job, even earlier than the birds are willing to awaken.


These are the days...

Today, I get to go out and be the hands and feet of Jesus. Speak words of affirmation and encouragement. Show my family how lucky they make me feel. Thank God for His many blessings.

Now, my kids are stirring and my quiet house is filled with the sounds of them getting dressed and packing their lunches for school. I rejoice for our day together has begun. And I remember to embrace this moment.

For these are the days...

Of my daughter singing to Jesus while she ties her shoes.

Of my son assisting his sister with a glass of milk, while I get a glimpse of the man he will one day become.

Of kisses good-bye and big, bright smiles as my girls ride off to school on their scooters.

Of stolen moments with my teenage man-child, as he shares his thoughts and it is just him and me.

Of phone calls from my busy husband, who calls just to hear my voice.


These are the days. So wake up slowly if you must. Grab some coffee and take a moment to listen to the birds. But then rejoice, for you will never get today back again. And even when you are walking in darkness, there are reasons to embrace the beautiful gift of today.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for today. For all that today will bring. Opportunities to serve you and know you more. Moments of sweetness and joy, even in the midst of the unexpected. Sometimes, we squander our days with worry, bitterness, or dread. Let it not be so. Help us to embrace the promise of today with a heart of praise and gratitude.
-Amen


Reflection: What are the gifts you have in your life today?

No comments:

Post a Comment